Hospital bag ?! As a new mum, I know how difficult or overwhelming it can be when you don’t know what your little one is going to need in those few hours/days of his life while in hospital.
First of all, let me tell you: congratulations!!! You’re almost at the end of your pregnancy. That’s literally when you start wondering what to pack for your newborn baby. Therefore, I am going to share with you what I have packed for the baby in my hospital bag. Keep your eyes peeled for the mummy version of this very soon.
Are you in a hurry or you don’t have enough time to read? SAVE it for later!
*** this post contains affiliate links, to find out more click here.***
I’ve done some research and with my recent experience I came out with this list of things that are essential for your newborn as soon as they are born. I would also recommend starting packing your hospital bag as early as possible (around 35-36 weeks) just to be prepared. You never know when it’s time to rush to the hospital. Babies are very unpredictable and not many are born at their exact due date! Trust me, when labor starts, your mind will be way too busy to think about what to pack for the hospital and you’ll end up forgetting lots of things.
Things to keep in mind before packing
Just a few specifications before sharing my packing list for the hospital bag:
- initially, I packed for 2-3 days stay in the hospital but I had an emergency C-section, so I stood 7 days in the hospital. Therefore, I ended up doubling up some of the things (for more details, please see below)
- my baby was born in summer (August) so I packed some light clothes. We also live in the UK, so bear in mind that although is summer, here the weather changes a lot.
- this list is a result of the list from the hospital and personal research – several youtube videos & blog posts
- the hospital won’t give us any baby clothes, nappies or other baby stuff
- I’ve added some more stuff after my whole birthing & hospital experience
Here is my list of baby’s hospital bag:
- 5 newborn bodysuits
- 2 up to 1-month bodysuits
- 4 newborn sleepsuits
- 1 up to 1-month sleepsuit
- 2 newborn hats
- 2 pairs of socks
- 2 pairs of scratch mitts (x2)
- 1 jacket/cardigan
- 2 going home outfits
- changing pouch & a waterproof sheet
- pack of newborn nappies (x2)
- 20 nappy bags (which I didn’t even use)
- pack of wipes, I use the ones from Water Wipes (x2)
- 1 pack of cotton wool pads
- nappy cream, I use Sudocream
- 1 swaddle blanket – I’ve got them from Aiden & Anais. See them on Amazon here
- 1 pram blanket
- 1 lightweight blanket
- 2 burp cloths
- toy (optional)
- “Welcome to the world” board (optional)
- 2 pram pegs (optional)
- dummy – I didn’t use it (optional)
- I would have loved to have added some formula, as I had some issues after birth with my milk supply.
Until next time, take care & stay beautiful!