This post may contain affiliate links which means I earn a small commission if you decide to use my links. Disclosure here.[sc name=”affiliatedisclosure”]
Opting for online childbirth classes can be a significant decision towards your overall pregnancy education. You might be unsure about what you would learn from antenatal classes. Still, the good news is that they make sure to cover all the essential territories such as when to go to the hospital, prepare for a healthy pregnancy, and the basics of taking care of the child after birth.
Pregnancy is, of course, exciting, but sometimes it might feel like a daunting time. And, as the birth date comes nearer, it is expected that you would be more and more anxious with each passing day and sometimes even scared. Prenatal classes prepare you for this momentous day of your life by helping to reduce your anxiety about labor, and even after that, when you have to take care of your newly arrived child.
Let us discover how online childbirth classes assist an expecting mom and why you should choose them.
- What to expect from prenatal classes?
- When should you go for classes for new and expecting mothers?
- Would you need to opt for prenatal classes even if you have already had a baby?
- Which prenatal classes would be proper for you?
- Who are the instructors in prenatal classes that are preparing you for the birth?
- How exactly do online childbirth classes work?
- What are the pros and cons of online classes for new and expecting mothers?
- The best online childbirth classes
- Final words
What to expect from prenatal classes?
Antenatal classes relieve your worries about everything, from labor to caring for your baby after he/she is born. Their overall focus is on preparing you for childbirth, so their primary focus would be on providing all the essential answers for the questions that make you anxious. New and expecting mothers are often concerned about what to expect. Prenatal classes discuss this with you. Plus, they educate you about tactics to deal with every part of the labor and birth process. Let us examine a brief list to perceive what these classes offer to you.
• What does happen during labor?
• Help you to cope with labor time by educating about diverse ways of pain relief.
• Talk about your feelings regarding the birth.
• Your feelings about being a new mother or new father.
• Exercise regimen after pregnancy.
• Feeding the newborn.
• Caring for the infant.
Information on the given topic boosts confidence in you about your pregnancy.
When should you go for classes for new and expecting mothers?
The most average period of joining the classes is 8-10 weeks before the due date when you are 30-32 weeks pregnant. But, prenatal classes often get booked up quickly, so it would be beneficial to enquire about them early on. In this way, you will be sure of getting a place in the classes you want.
Would you need to opt for prenatal classes even if you have already had a baby?
It is a misconception that antenatal classes are functional for preparing you for the birth only if you are a first-time mum-to-be. Whenever you are having a baby, attending prenatal classes can be fruitful. And the importance of these classes increases even more if you are planning to give birth differently. For example, if you had a cesarean the first time.
Online childbirth classes are also fruitful when there is a considerable gap between your pregnancies. Some even offer refreshers program for those who are already parents. You can opt for a refresher’s plan also.
Which prenatal classes would be proper for you?
Choosing from several classes could be a difficult task. However, most of them offer the same services but at this turn of your life quality matters more than everything else. Nevertheless, it is worthiest to choose antenatal classes appropriate for your needs, schedule, and budget. While opting for online childbirth classes does not satisfy your physicals needs or soothes your physical discomfort, they help to get the basics under your belt. These classes are primary sources of information, ideas and help with your discomforting emotions.
Who are the instructors in prenatal classes that are preparing you for the birth?
The instructors are usually childbirth educators. You might be surprised to know that several certificate programs are available for those opting for childbirth educators as a career. And a variety of these courses comes with stringent guidelines about what knowledge one must possess to become a childbirth educator. Many times it is relatively difficult to tell about the author of the content in antenatal classes. Still, these contents are more likely to be sponsored by medical entities, such as hospitals. Nevertheless, whenever you feel uncertain, you can always contact the class sponsors to know about the instructors and the entity authoring the content of the classes.
How exactly do online childbirth classes work?
Online classes for new and expecting mothers may work in different ways. Some courses might be text-based, while some may be video-based. On the other hand, some of the classes might have a mixture of both texts and videos. It could be quite challenging to understand the text-only lessons because a significant part of the information includes anatomy and the birth process. The video-based courses help to alleviate some of these.
What are the pros and cons of online classes for new and expecting mothers?
Before you invest some money in anything, it becomes utterly beneficial to know entirely about it. So, let us know the pros and cons of the antenatal classes.
Pros of classes preparing you for the birth
• You will merely need a computer and an internet connection to access courses.
• You can prepare for everything from labor to postpartum from the comfort of your home.
• You can review relevant vital topics.
• The privacy settings allow you to talk with the instructor freely.
Cons of classes preparing you for the birth
• There is a large amount of information shared; hence, it might become difficult to remember all of it when needed.
• A large amount of data is only a click away, but free information’s reliability is still questionable.
• You might not be able to connect with your instructor.
• Some of the classes may be comparatively expensive.
The best online childbirth classes
Now that you have an idea of why online childbirth classes are a good option for you, especially now with a Global Pandemic, here’s a list of some of the online antenatal courses I recommend:
- The Ultimate Breastfeeding Class by Milkology
- Newborn Basics by Mommy Labor Nurse
- The Ultimate Back to Work Pumping Class by Milkology
- Hypnobirthing Class (FREE class)
- Simply Breastfeeding From Day One by Cindy & Jana
- What happens to baby after delivery (FREE LIVE class) by Pulling Curls
- Birth It Up the Natural Series & the Epidural Series by Mommy Labor Nurse
- Prenatal Power Prep by Cindy & Jana (on SALE in January 2021)
Altogether, online childbirth classes can prove extremely beneficial in providing you and your partner with great peace of mind. Plus, they resolve all your queries and make you more confident about childbirth. They equip you with all the beneficial and necessary information; hence, they play a prominent role in preparing you for birth.